Globalization threatens to eat up many jobs in the future. Jobs that will go to lower paid but highly skilled workers. When you think about the skills that will be needed to secure your child's future, I just cant help but think that Leadership is right up there at the front and center.
Every business needs leaders. Every charity, non profit, sporting team, army unit, club, reading group etc etc. The quality of leadership is required everywhere.
What are leadership qualities?
- Wide eyed (Listen to all sides, encourages all opinions, considers all options)
- Not prejudiced
- Tactical when required
These are just off the top of my head what I would say make a great leader.
I believe good Leaders encourage, cajole, plead, assist, communicate, negotiate, plan, execute, and generally manage up and down in a way that is as helpful to everyone involved as possible. Also in my opinion is that Bad leaders threaten, demand, abuse, stonewall, avoid responsibility, reject feedback, avoid action, ass-kiss, obscure, mislead. You know the type.
How do we instill leadership qualities in our children? Practice: lots and lots of practice.
- Responsible for organizing a formal dinner
- Organizing a family weekend away somewhere
- Organize a gathering of neighbors for a BBQ
- Responsible for keeping the house clean for a week (practice delegation, motivation, organization, quality control)
- Responsible for all the family's meals for a week.
- Organizing a play, recital, performance, debate, dance display.
- Organize a sporting event
- Organizing a park cleanup
- Organize a recital for an elderly group
After each of these, take the time to reflect on how these went. See what went well, what didn't go so well, where improvements could have been made. Celebrate the success and the mishaps. They are awesome learning experiences. Use the checklist at the top of this piece as a starting point to talk about how your child demonstrated leadership qualities.
There will eBook or an eCourse forthcoming covering all these leadership qualities, and how we can begin to instill them in our kids.
This is such a large topic, it just needs to be fleshed out.
Always on the lookout for the ultimate Kid Hacks